Friday, July 13, 2007

The New Flat

Hey, we're in the new flat! The move went as well as a transatlantic move can be expected to go. We packed maybe half the stuff from our house in New Jersey, and we would have been better off packing one-quarter of the stuff. Fortunately, the flat comes with a rather large storage space, which is currently packed to the gills with unwanted furniture. The movers did mess a few things up, which is to be expected. although it's still disappointing. The half of the stuff that did not come here is in a storage space in New Jersey. I tagged everything before the movers came as to where I wanted it to go, but was too distracted when they were packing and loading to check every little thing. So my favorite sewing machine and my dress form both found their way into storage, and are not here. Somehow, another random sewing machine is here, so I'll make do with that one, and buy another dress form.

Our sofa is too big to make it up the stairs or in the elevator. The move coordinators are looking for someone who can take it apart and re-assemble it in the flat.

I realize that we have far too much stuff. Not just furniture, but clothes, dishes, toys, everything. I'm randomly discarding things as they annoy me. In NJ, I did laundry once a week. Here, my washing machine is so small that I have to do it every day or it piles up too much. But, if you're doing laundry every day, you really don't need that many clothes. So I think that as my kids grow out of their clothes, I'll only replace them sparingly.

People in London always complain about lack of water pressure. Not a problem in this flat. The bathtub fills in about 30 seconds, and the shower feels like a multi-prong water pik. It's actually painful. DH went and bought another shower head, so showering may become more pleasant.

My 2 favorite things about the flat are the location (on Chelsea Green) and the views. We have windows on 3 sides, and we're at the top of one of the tallest buildings around. I'll take some photos of the view and post them when I get a chance.



No comments: